I'm learning: PHP
- These Sushi Cards will help you learn to build webpages using PHP, a very popular programming language that's used to build websites like Facebook and Wikipedia. You can combine it with HTML (and check out the HTML Sushi Cards if you don't know how to code HTML yet!).
- First, you're going to need somewhere to code! PHP needs a few different pieces in place to make it work and, if you're going to release a website later, you'll eventually need to learn how to set that up. For now, though, let's just get going quickly by using Cloud 9, an online editor that will do all the setup for you! Check it out at dojo.soy/php-edit.
- You can use your GitHub or Bitbucket account to sign in if you have one. Otherwise, sign up with your email address.
- Choose "Create a new workspace" and fill it in as follows:
- Workspace name: beginner-php
- Description: My first PHP website
- Make sure that Hosted workspace is selected
- Choose a Private workspace
- Skip over the Clone from Git or Mercurial URL—you don't need to clone anything
- Choose the PHP, Apache template
- Now just click on Create workspace and you're all set!
- Once your workspace is up and running, you'll notice you've been given a few files, which you can see in the sidebar.
- You're going to need to create a new file to put all your code in. You can do this by choosing File > New File in the menu.
- Once the file is opened, you can save it by choosing File > Save As and giving it a name. Save this one now as index.php
- You're ready to make your first PHP webpage!